Instant Pot Keto Yogurt
An easy, foolproof recipe for homemade keto coconut yogurt. With just 3 ingredients & an Instant Pot, you’ll have delicious keto yogurt in no time!
Table of Contents
What Makes This Recipe Great
Did you know you can make your own keto yogurt at home for a fraction of the price? With grocery prices skyrocketing, I promise you, making your own is worth it, and not nearly as scary as you might think!
Enter, Instant Pot Keto Yogurt, an easy, budget-friendly recipe that you’ll want to keep making over and over!
This keto yogurt is made right in your home kitchen for a fraction of the price! With just 3 ingredients and an Instant Pot, this coconut yogurt recipe will wow you Every. Single. Time!
- Keto & Low-Carb
- Easy Prep
- 3 Ingredients
- Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Grain-free, Paleo, Whole30, Plant-based, Vegetarian, and Vegan.
- Versatile! Switch up the milk, add toppings, and more!
Watch The Recipe Video
Note: You can also watch this recipe video on YouTube.
Canned coconut cream: This is my preference for the best fat macros. Coconut cream has a higher fat ratio than coconut milk. My go-to is the organic generic Sprouts brand. It has a really great price. I also used the Whole Foods 365 canned coconut cream and loved it. Same with the Thrive Market brand and Thai Kitchen. You can also use canned coconut milk.
Agar Agar Flakes: This is a gelatin made from seaweed (so vegan friendly!), and the best of all the thickeners I tried. It thickened the coconut milk yogurt perfectly and left it silky, smooth, and lump-free. Tapioca starch and arrowroot flour left it too gritty. I do not recommend substituting any other thickener for the best results. You can find the exact version I used here. Note: Do not use agar agar powder. Only agar agar flakes will work.
Probiotic Capsules: It is very important that you are getting CAPSULES that you can open and easily pour in the probiotic powder inside. You do not want probiotic pills, since you would have to crush those up and it would be too much of a hassle. I used these exact probiotic capsules that I got off Amazon and they worked great! They have 50 billion live cultures. I also used the Sprouts generic brand that was in the refrigerated section of vitamins, it was also 50 billion live cultures and worked great too!
Note: The daily probiotic I take is Seed (code TASTESLOVELY for 15% off), which is THE best probiotic on the market since it is the only one that delivers probiotics all the way to your colon. But, it is on the pricier side, so I like keeping Seed as my supplement and using a more cost-effective probiotic for this keto yogurt.
Recipe Step by Step
- Set your Instant Pot to SAUTE. Add in the 2 cans of coconut cream and wait for them to come to a rolling boil uncovered (no need for the lid). This takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Once boiling, press CANCEL on your instant pot. Add in the agar agar flakes and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Let the mixture cool to 110ºF using an instant-read thermometer. If you don’t have an instant-read thermometer, you want the mixture warm enough to touch without it burning you. If it is too hot, it will kill the bacteria in the probiotic capsule. I set a timer for 30 minutes, which is how long it usually takes for it to cool enough.
- Once cooled to 110ºF, open the 4 probiotic capsules and pour them into the coconut cream mixture in the instant pot. The coconut cream will already be slightly thickened from the agar agar flakes. Whisk again to fully combine the probiotic capsule powder.
- Close your Instant Pot and press the YOGURT button. You may need to press it a few times until it says 24:00, meaning 24 hours. The yogurt is going to take between 18-24 hours. I like to set it for 24 hours so I have a long window to get the coconut yogurt the next day.
- Somewhere between 18-24 hours, your coconut yogurt is done! Open the lid, and transfer the yogurt to jars or air-tight containers to cool. The keto yogurt will still be on the liquidy side. Coconut milk yogurt firms up *significantly* after cooling in the fridge, so don’t panic that it’s not “yogurt thick” in the warm stage. If it tastes like it has that yogurt tang, you’ve made yogurt!
Milk Alternative: You could also use any dairy-free (or dairy!) milk! I tried this with almond milk and cashew milk, and it works but I just don’t love the flavor. Coconut milk has its own natural sweetness, and it tastes really “off” when I used almond milk and cashew milk. Let me know in the comments if you make this keto yogurt with different milk and love how it turns out!
Serving: I like to transfer the coconut yogurt to half-pint mason jars or 4-ounce mason jars (both are freezer friendly!), then let them cool completely in the refrigerator. However, any airtight container will work.
Thickener: 1 tablespoon was my preferred amount for a keto yogurt that has a thickness right in between greek yogurt and regular yogurt. If you want it thicker, use more agar agar. Maybe 1.5 or 2 tablespoons. If you want it thinner like a kefir yogurt, use less. Maybe 1/2 a tablespoon. Have fun playing around with it and finding the perfect ratio to find the thickness that suits your preference.
Freezing: You can freeze this yogurt in any freezer-safe container! It will last in the freezer for up to 1 year. Thaw overnight in the fridge and serve.
Flavored Yogurt: I love this coconut milk yogurt plain, so it is the most versatile for whatever I need it for. (I use this in place of sour cream!) But if you like flavored yogurt, feel free to puree strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc and fold it in, and then chill in the fridge. I would think 1/2 a cup of pureed fruit would work great.
Doubling the Recipe: You can easily double (or triple!) this keto yogurt recipe if you need to make a big batch. Especially great if you have freezer space.
Instant Pot Yogurt Function: I’ve learned that every instant pot has different yogurt functions. This is the exact instant pot that I used when testing this recipe and shown in the recipe video. It just has me press YOGURT and offers either BOIL (I skip this and use the SAUTE button instead) 18 hours or 24 hours. Others have reported that their instant pot starts the sequence with BOIL, then cools the mixture, then beeps when it’s time to add the probiotic capsules, etc. Please read the manual for your instant pot to familiarize yourself with its YOGURT function.
Instant Pot Duo/Pro Crisp: If you have a newer Instant Pot, like the Instant Pot Duo Crisp or Pro Crisp, it does not have a yogurt function. Instead, per reader experience, use the Sous Vide function at 110 degrees for about 18+ hours. The coconut milk yogurt will then thicken in the refrigerator.
Yes! High-fat yogurt is very keto friendly. If you’re new to keto, the goal is to eat high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. I share all about the keto diet here! This coconut yogurt has even better fat macros and is lower in carbs than full-fat cow milk dairy yogurt.
Yes! I tested this and it freezes and thaws perfectly. It stays nice and thick. The main reason I love storing the coconut yogurt in half-pint or 4-ounce mason jars is that both of those are freezer friendly. Nice to have in the freezer and on hand at all times, especially since the recipe takes a full 24 hours to make.
This coconut yogurt will be good in your fridge for at least 30 days, if not longer. Just check for spoilage (mold, discoloration, bad odors).
Maybe? It definitely tastes like coconut, since it is made with coconut milk. It does get more tang and tastes “yogurty”, so you may like this version of it? My husband Shawn does *not* like coconut milk, and is turned off by it when I use it in soups in place of heavy cream. But! He likes this coconut milk yogurt! So it’s worth a try!
Get an instant pot right now! I have this 6-quart one, which is very affordable and I use it constantly. If only to make bone broth and this coconut yogurt, the instant pot will more than pay for itself! There are other methods out there that you can use to make coconut yogurt on your counter, or in your oven using just the oven light. But those are not nearly as foolproof since they don’t have a steady/exact temperature setting for the full 24 hours this yogurt needs.
Yes! I tried this keto yogurt with almond milk and didn’t love it. Almond milk doesn’t have any sweetness and does not taste right when used to make yogurt. I don’t recommend it. Cashew milk was a little better, but using canned coconut cream was the winner by far. You could also use whole milk if you’re ok with dairy! You’ll need 3 cups of milk or non-dairy milk for any substitution.
Yes! I personally love to leave the yogurt plain, then add fresh fruit on top. This way my coconut milk yogurt is the most versatile for whatever I need it for. But if you like flavored, I would blend up fresh fruit to add to the yogurt and flavor it. I recommend 1/2 cup of blueberries blended. If you try this let me know in the comments how it turned out!
Yes! All 3 of these ingredients are Whole30 friendly, and so is the yogurt when it’s made with all 3 ingredients. It’s also dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, paleo, plant-based, vegetarian, and vegan.
More Keto Recipes
Did you love this recipe? Thank you! Please rate this recipe and leave a review below. I respond to every one! Be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, and Facebook. Tag me if you try a recipe!
Instant Pot Keto Yogurt
- Set your instant pot to SAUTE. Add in the 2 cans of coconut cream and wait for them to come to a rolling boil uncovered (no need for the lid). This takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the coconut cream is boiling, hit CANCEL on your instant pot. Add in the agar agar flakes and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Let the mixture cool to 110ºF using an instant read thermometer. If you don't have an instant read thermometer, you want the mixture warm enough to touch without it burning you. If it is too hot, it will kill the bacteria in the probiotic capsule. I set a timer for 30 minutes, which is how long it usually takes for it to cool enough.
- Once the mixture is cooled to 110ºF, open the 4 probiotic capsules and pour them on the coconut cream mixture in the instant pot. The coconut cream will already be slightly thickened from the agar agar flakes. Whisk again to fully combine the probiotic capsule powder.
- Close your instant pot with its lid, and press the YOGURT button. You may need to press it a few times until it says 24:00, meaning 24 hours. The yogurt is going to take between 18-24 hours. I like to set it for 24 hours so I have a long window to get the coconut yogurt the next day.
- Somewhere between 18-24 hours, your coconut yogurt is done! Open the lid, and transfer the yogurt to jars or air tight containers to cool. The yogurt will still be on the liquidy side. Coconut milk yogurt firms up *significantly* after cooling in the fridge, so don't panic that it's not "yogurt thick" in the warm stage. Includes recipe links, a printable menu + grocery list template! If it tastes like it has that yogurt tang, you've made yogurt! I love these half pint Kerr mason jars or these 4-ounce Ball mason jars. Both are freezer friendly too!
- The coconut yogurt will keep for at least 30 days in the refrigerator, or at least 1 year in the freezer.
- As always, lots of tips, FAQs and substitution info in the Recipe Notes below!