Whole30 + Keto Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Whole30 + Keto Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe – healthy italian sausage + vegetable mixture stuffed in portobellos and roasted in the oven. Paleo, low carb, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
If you’re craving pizza, these whole30 + keto sausage stuffed portobello mushrooms is just what you need!
All the flavors of sausage + mushroom pizza, but 5 carbs and dairy free!
Ingredients in Whole30 + Keto Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
The ingredients in this dish are so simple. Organic portobello mushrooms that are roasted until tender stuffed with a mixture of italian pork sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic + parsley.
Be sure to read your labels for italian sausage! A lot of them have sugar (or dextrose) snuck in. I get my sugar free humanely raised, hormone + antibiotic free pork sausage from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!
Serving Whole30 + Keto Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Twirl your fork with some zoodles, then cut off a bite of this savory stuffed mushroom and enjoy!Print
- 4 portobello mushrooms that are 5″ diameter, stems removed and saved, black gills scraped out with a spoon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage, removed from the casing (I get my hormone + antibiotic free pork sausage from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425ºF with the oven rack in the middle. Line a rimmed baking sheet with baking rack with parchment paper.
- Add the portobello mushrooms with the opening UP. Drizzle with olive oil, salt + pepper. Roast for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and sausage, breaking the sausage up with a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 minutes until the sausage is no longer pink.
- To the cooked sausage, add the onion and bell pepper. Season with the salt and pepper. Cook another 5-7 minutes until the vegetables have softened and the sausage is cooked all the way through. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Turn off the heat, add in the parsley and stir.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven, and spoon the sausage mixture into the portobello mushrooms.
- Roast the stuffed mushrooms for another 15 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Serve warm. Especially good with zucchini noodles or pesto zucchini noodles!
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!