Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies – crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, lemony sweet treat. If you love lemon, these are the cookies for you.
Shawn’s new job has made us a very early morning house.
He now works 6:30-3:00. Great because he’s off work so early. Bad because our alarm is now set for 5:30. Am. In the morning. When it’s still dark out.
It’s been quite the adjustment.
And since I’m such a
light sleeper nice wife, I wake up with him and make his breakfast and coffee so it’s ready for him after he’s done showering and getting dressed.
To help wake us up in the morning, I’ve been putting on the news to play in the background, which I’m quickly realizing isn’t not the most pleasant morning viewing. Have you watched the morning news lately?! So many horrible things to report on every day! Murders. Major draught here in California. And many, many car accidents all around the Bay Area that are jamming up the freeways.
I need something a little more gentle for the morning time. I may have to switch us to children’s cartoons.
These sugar cookies have both lemon zest and lemon juice for lots of lemon flavor. The poppy seed give them cute little blue speckles, and a nice little pop of flavor.
I love these lemon poppy seed cookies because they are so EASY! No need to chill the dough or roll them out. No chilling means I can have these cookies within 30 minutes! Just make the dough and scoop them out. I am obsessed with my medium size cookie scoop. Now all of my cookies turn out the same size and bake evenly.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks, 16 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, about half a lemons worth
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, with the racks in the upper and lower thirds. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or large mixing bowl with a hand mixer) beat the butter and sugars at medium speed for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add the egg, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice and beat for over medium speed for 1 minute, until combined. Add in the flour mixture, and beat of low speed until just combined. Scrape down the bowl if necessary.
- Use a medium cookie scoop* (or manually measure 1.5 tablespoon balls), scoop out the cookies and transfer to parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake in the oven for 16 minutes, rotating the trays half way thru baking. Cool for 3 minutes before eating. Will keep in an airtight container for 1 week.
- This dough freezes beautifully. Just freeze the scooped dough on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer safe container. Bake an additional 2-4 minutes than when baked raw.
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated
More Sweet Treats
Lemon Poppy Seed Recipes from my Food Blogging Friends
This post contains affiliate links, which means anything you buy at Amazon after following that link will make me a few pennies. Thanks for the love!