Perfect Grilled Onions Hack!
Make the most perfect grilled onions every single time with my amazing grilled onion hack! The perfect addition to so many meals!
Table of Contents
What Makes This Recipe Great
Onions Grilled to Perfection, Every Single Time!
It still blows my mind that onions, such a strong-tasting vegetable, can cook down into something so sweet and caramelized. The flavor is completely transformed and you end up with tender, delicious onions! Onions grilled are so versatile, delicious, and go with just about everything!
I love onions grilled for burgers, pizzas, sandwiches, breakfast, and even on my salads, but they have to be cooked just right. The first few times I made them it was a complete disaster. As in, the smoke detector went off and I was left with a pan full of charred remnants of what used to be an onion.
So to help you avoid the same mistakes, here is exactly how I make onions grilled perfectly in my cast iron pan, every single time!
All you need are four ingredients to make these caramelized onions:
onion, salt, and butter… and my absolutely amazing hack: water. I know it sounds weird, but trust me, it’s the best hack!
Recipe Step by Step
- Simply slice your onions like the photo below (about 3/8″ thick), warm up your skillet over medium heat, add the butter, onions, and kosher salt, and cook, stirring every few minutes.
My Amazing Grilled Onion Hack
WATER! As soon as the onions start to look a little dry, add a few tablespoons of water. This will prevent the onions from drying out and keep them juicy and cooking at an even temperature.
The water will evaporate as it cooks, leaving you with perfectly juicy onions grilled to absolute perfection.
Which Onions Are Best for Grilling?
This recipe will work with yellow onions, white onions, red onions, sweet onions, etc! Basically, whatever flavor profile you’re looking for, choose that onion and grill it!
Red Onion: great for steak, burgers, sandwiches, and salads!
Yellow Onion: milder in flavor, great with burgers, stir fry, fajitas, casseroles, and other Mexican-inspired dishes.
Sweet Onion: a mild flavor with a hint of sweetness, great with pizza, pasta, and sauces.
Ways to Serve Grilled Onions
Grilled onions are great for:
Dairy Free/Vegan: If you need these to be dairy free, you can use coconut oil for grilling onions in place of butter or ghee.
Storing: Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days, or frozen for at least 6 months. You can enjoy cold out of the fridge, or rewarm in the microwave or skillet.
Yes! Onions are super low in carbs and make for a great, flavorful addition to any keto-friendly meal. Onions grilled with butter only makes the fat content higher, helping you reach your daily macros!
Yes! They can be frozen for at least 6 months. You can enjoy them thawed and cold out of the fridge, or reheat in the microwave or skillet.
Use ghee or coconut oil to keep your onions grilled with Whole30-friendly ingredients.
Love this recipe? Thank you! Please leave a 5-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below + leave me a review in the comments. I respond to every one! Be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, and Facebook. Tag me if you try a recipe!
Perfect Grilled Onions Hack!
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the butter, onions and kosher salt. Cook stirring every few minutes.
- As soon as the onions start to look a little dry, add in a few tablespoons of water. This will both prevent the onions from drying out and keep them juicy and cooking at an even temperature. The water will evaporate as it cooks, leaving you with perfectly juicy onions. I usually add water twice during the cooking process.
- Continue to grill the onions uncovered until they are soft and golden brown. About 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
- See the Recipe Notes below for more tips, FAQ's and recipe substitutions.