Ground Beef Taco Meat
Seasoned ground beef taco meat made in your skillet in 30 minutes. Plus my hack on how I double my amount of grass-fed ground beef taco meat for just $1 using frozen cauliflower rice!
My hands down favorite food to eat out and cook at home is Mexican food. Not only is it delicious, but so many of the dishes are clean diet friendly.
One of my favorites to make, especially if I’m meal prepping on Sundays, is whole30 ground beef taco meat. It’s keto and paleo too! You can use it in so many ways!
Watch Ground Beef Taco Meat Hack Recipe Video
Note: You can also watch this recipe video on YouTube.
Healthy, Whole30 Authentic Taco Meat Recipe
This ground beef taco meat is going to taste exactly like what you get in the restaurant. Juicy, seasoned, and full of flavor. But healthier, and cheaper!
When making it at home, you can use organic 100% grass-fed ground beef, which has more minerals and vitamins. My ground beef is from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend. I cook the taco meat in avocado oil, rather than the refined vegetable oil restaurants use. And I use my homemade taco seasoning which is sugar free and free of any chemical preservatives and fillers.
How To Make Taco Meat
This is such a simple recipe to make, that is ready in 30 minutes.
To give it deep flavor, you want to start with caramelized onions. This will give the taco meat that subtle sweetness.
Next, add in your ground beef. Here is a little trick I do: rather than using 2 pounds ground beef, I use 1 pound ground beef and 1 pound cauliflower rice. The cauliflower rice takes on the flavor and texture of ground beef when cooked. You cannot tell the difference. This cuts your cost of meat in half, adds in more vegetables, and stretches out the 1 pound of beef you’re using. You can always use 2 pounds of ground beef if you have enough on hand.
Using Whole30 Ground Beef Taco Meat
The uses of this taco meat are endless!
Use it to make a burrito bowl, on a Mexican taco-less salad, in a lettuce cup taco, with scrambled eggs for a Mexican breakfast. I highly recommend serving it with my favorite whole30 fajita veggies. Pairs great with my whole30 cashew queso too. And of course guacamole!
These taco meat freezes beautifully as well. See recipe notes for freezer instructions.
Ground Beef Taco Meat Hack
- Heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the avocado oil and onions, sauté the onions until soft and turning golden, stirring occasionally. About 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, and break up with a potato masher.
- When the ground beef is about half way cooked, add in the frozen cauliflower rice straight from frozen. The cauliflower rice will thaw, and add more moisture to the ground beef as it is thawing. Stir to combine and cook until the meat is cooked through and brown and the cauliflower rice is thawed and has absorbed all the moisture and flavor of the beef, stirring occasionally. About 10 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning and tomato paste. Stir to combine and cook until fragrant and fully combined. About 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for 5 days, or frozen for 6 months.
- See the Recipe Notes below for more tips, FAQ's and ingredient substitutions.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!