Lettuce Bun Hack
The ultimate lettuce bun hack! How to cut iceberg lettuce for a lettuce wrapped burger or sandwich. The easiest bread & bun replacement for keto burgers.
Table of Contents
Easy, Low Carb Lettuce Bun
Burgers and sandwiches aren’t good because of the bread. They are all about sauces, toppings, fillings, meat, and more! Don’t miss out on delicious applewood bacon cheeseburgers or triple-decker club sandwiches because of the carb-filled bread! Now that I’ve discovered this lettuce bun hack, I can enjoy my favorite burgers and sandwiches for a fraction of the carbs and calories!
This lettuce wrapped burger bun hack is so easy to do, takes less than 1 minute, and it is SO much easier than doing those lettuce wrapped sandwiches that always break and are a huge pain.
Watch The Recipe Video
Note: You can also watch this recipe video on YouTube.
The Best Lettuce for Wraps
There are so many types of lettuce out there, but my favorite for lettuce wrapped burger or sandwich is Iceberg, which is by far, the easiest, crispiest, and most mild-flavored lettuce there is.
Use your iceberg lettuce buns to make the most amazing lettuce wrapped burger, sandwiches, chicken lettuce wraps, tortilla-free tostadas, and more! The iceberg gives it the perfect crunch, and with all those delicious keto fillings/toppings, you won’t even miss the bread!
How To Cut Iceberg Lettuce
For a lettuce wrapped burger or sandwich, there is a specific way to cut the lettuce. To start, you need a whole head of organic iceberg lettuce. I like to use organic so I know it is free of pesticides.
- Peel off the outer 1 or 2 leaves so the remaining leaves have never been touched by unclean hands.
- Cut off the top 1/2″ of the head of iceberg lettuce.
- Then, gently peel apart the leaves in half, creating 2 lettuce buns. That’s it! So easy!
Pro tip: Depending on the size of your head of iceberg lettuce, you can get at least 2 other “buns” from the other edges.
Washing: I don’t find the need to wash the inner leaves of iceberg lettuce, but feel free to wash yours if you prefer.
Making Ahead: When used for sandwiches, they travel great! I store my sandwich in a stasher bag, and it has been kept for at least 8 hours in a cooler. No need to worry about bread getting soggy!
Lettuce Wrapped Burger Recipes
Lettuce Bun Hack
- 1 head organic iceberg lettuce
- Cut the top 1/2" off the top of the head of the iceberg lettuce. Gently pull out half the lettuce, then flip it over to create lettuce buns.
- Can be repeated at least 2 other times on the other edges of the iceberg lettuce.
- Use as lettuce "buns" for burgers or sandwiches!