Paleo + Whole30 Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Paleo + Whole30 Crispy Smashed Potatoes – soft and fluffy on the outside, crispy and golden brown on the outside. The most delicious side dish recipe for breakfast or dinner! Gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, vegan.
Was anyone else so so SO excited when Whole30 updated their rules and said potatoes are ok to have during Whole30? I did a happy dance! Because sometimes you just want some delicious roasted potatoes.
My current favorite way to enjoy them is this paleo + whole30 crispy smashed potatoes.
Smashed potatoes might be the most perfect way to enjoy potatoes. It is like a mashup of roasted potatoes and baked potatoes. They’re soft and fluffy on the inside, and crispy golden brown on the outside. I just love them!
These paleo + whole30 crispy smashed potatoes just a tad more work than my go-to paleo + whole30 roasted potatoes, but it is worth it!
You start by boiling baby potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain them, put them on a baking sheet, and smash them. I use a drinking glass and it works great. Brush on some olive oil, salt + pepper, then pop them in the oven to roast and get golden brown.
I usually like to keep these paleo + whole30 crispy smashed potatoes simple and just season them with salt + pepper. But sometimes I get fancy and add chopped herbs, or a drizzle of some vinegar, or garlic powder, or I’ll top them with a yummy sauce like my paleo + whole30 pesto, the possibilities are endless!
Aren’t potatoes great like that? So versatile.
Not only are these paleo + whole30 crispy smashed potatoes delicious, but healthy too! Paleo, whole30, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, soy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
Paleo & Whole30 Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds small potatoes, about 1.25" diameter is best (any variety too! red, white, yukon gold, purple)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil (for easy clean up).
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Boil potatoes until a fork can easily be inserted and removed, about 10-15 minutes. Drain the potatoes in the colander, and allow to cool in the colander for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to the rimmed baking sheet. Use the back of a drinking glass to gently smash the potatoes until about 3/8" thick, trying to keep the potatoes in one piece. Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil, and use a pastry brush to spread the olive oil over all parts of the smashed potato. Season with salt + pepper.
- Roast the smashed potatoes until crispy and golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. Serve warm.
More Paleo & Whole30 Potato Recipes:
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!