Creamy Mustard Chicken
Creamy Mustard Chicken – chicken breasts smothered in a creamy dijon mustard and cream sauce. A quick and easy 1 skillet chicken dinner that is ready in 30 minutes!
Who wants to take a guess on how much our electrical bill is going to be this month?
This past week it has been close to 100 degrees for 4 days in a row. Thank goodness we have air conditioning. Otherwise, I would have spent a lot of time at the grocery store standing in front of the refrigerator section.
July was lovely, and we barely had to turn on our AC. But we have been turning it on the second we walk in the door for a lot of August. And just this morning, I was awoken to Shawn swearing because he forgot to turn it off before going to bed. So our AC was running at 65 degrees all. night. long.
Our electric bill is going to be at least double.
With hot days like this, it is making me long for cool fall days. And I know fall is coming soon because every other commercial is for Back to School sales. Didn’t those commercials make you so depressed when you were a kid? Especially when they stared up in July? They shouldn’t start to show those until at least August 1st.
This 1 skillet creamy mustard chicken is a great back to school meal. Only 1 skillet, so clean up is a breeze. And it’s ready in just 30 minutes!
Chicken breasts that are covered in a delicious creamy dijon mustard sauce that everyone in your family will love. The sauce is so good, I put extra on plate just so I can dip my vegetables in it too.Print
- (4) 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness (I get my chicken from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend)
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 3 cups white wine (or substitute chicken stock)
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- chopped chives for garnish, optional
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- When the skillet is heated, add the olive oil, then cook the chicken about 8 minutes per side, until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove the chicken from the skillet and transfer to a plate, tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Cook the onions in the same skillet as you cooked the chicken. There will still be some oil left in the skillet. If necessary, you can add a little more. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until the onions soften and turn translucent. Add the garlic cloves, and cook just 30 seconds, until you can smell the garlic.
- Add the white wine (or chicken stock) and turn heat to high. Add the dijon mustard, and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has reduced by half, will take about 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low, then add the heavy cream and butter. Whisk to combine. Add the chicken back to the skillet to warm thru. Serve the chicken warm, topped with the creamy dijon mustard sauce and chopped chives.
Feel free to add more heavy cream if you like it creamier! And my mom loves this sauce sweet, so she adds in some brown sugar too.
More 1 Skillet Chicken Recipes:
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox! For free!