Creamy Mustard Chicken
This quick & easy mustard chicken recipe is a delicious, 30-minute, one-pan meal featuring tender chicken breasts smothered in a creamy dijon mustard sauce.
Table of Contents
Mustard on Chicken?
If you haven’t heard of chicken with creamy dijon mustard sauce before, this recipe is about to blow your mind. Move over yellow mustard, dijon mustard is the new staple!
Chicken breasts cooked in a creamy, white wine, and dijon mustard sauce is a classic French recipe that I have always loved. French cuisine is traditionally very involved and takes a ton of time, so I set out to create a quick & easy version of this favorite dinner. This creamy mustard chicken recipe is ready in 30 minutes and is easy and delicious enough to make for a weeknight meal or Sunday family dinner!
Trust me, this creamy mustard chicken will be added to your recipe rotation in no time, and you will be finding all the things to dip in the mustard sauce and savor every last drop! Mustard on chicken for the win!
Watch The Recipe Video
Note: You can also watch this recipe video on YouTube.
How to Make this Recipe
This mustard chicken only requires one skillet. I use my beloved cast-iron skillet that I cook pretty much everything on. You can use whatever skillet you have, as long as it’s big enough to fit your chicken breasts and the homemade mustard sauce!
You can find the full list of ingredients and instructions in the printable recipe below, but here are some important notes and swaps to help you out!
Chicken Breasts: Chicken thighs also work great in this creamy mustard chicken recipe. I always try to find chicken breasts that are organic, grass-fed, and grass-finished, but use whatever chicken is your go-to!
Heavy Cream & Butter: If you’re dairy-free, feel free to use original flavor Nutpods, coconut cream, or Silk dairy-free heavy cream. You can also sub the butter in this recipe for Ghee or Miyokos vegan butter. Same quantities for all substitutions.
Dry White Wine: A good rule of thumb is to cook with a wine that you would actually drink! I love this with chardonnay or a sauvignon blanc, and I have found some delicious bottles under $5 that are perfect for drinking or cooking (Thank you, Trader Joe’s!). You could also substitute chicken stock if you prefer not to cook with wine or don’t have any on hand.
Dijon Mustard: I prefer dijon mustard on chicken, but spicy brown mustard or grainy mustard would work too.
Storing: Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Whole30: Use the dairy-free replacements above and chicken stock in place of wine for Whole30.
Serve the chicken warm, topped with the creamy dijon mustard sauce and chopped chives. I love this on top of white rice, cauliflower rice, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, or roasted potatoes. Also, this mustard sauce is so good, I put extra on my plate just so I can dip my vegetables in it too!
Yes! Freeze this mustard chicken recipe in a freezer-safe, airtight container for at least 6 months. You can thaw in the fridge overnight, or reheat straight from frozen. Reheat either in the microwave until warm, about 3-5 minutes if thawed, or 6-10 minutes if frozen.
Yes! This recipe is low carb and keto-friendly, with only 5 net carbs per serving. Be sure to serve the chicken over cauliflower rice or another keto-friendly side to keep the carbs low!
Love this recipe? Thank you! Please leave a 5-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below + leave me a review in the comments. I respond to every one! Be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, and Facebook. Tag me if you try a recipe!
Creamy Mustard Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- kosher salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 3 cups white wine
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- chopped chives for garnish, optional
- Heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil, then cook the chicken about 8 minutes per side, until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165º degrees. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until the onions soften and turn translucent. Add the garlic cloves, and cook just 30 seconds.
- Add the white wine, dijon mustard, and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has reduced by half, will take about 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low, then add the heavy cream and butter. Whisk to combine. Add the chicken back to the skillet to warm thru.
- See the Recipe Notes below for more tips, FAQ's and ingredient substitutions.